Yeah, I know biscuits aren’t meat but stay with me for a little while….
When I moved to the South I knew biscuits were something I needed to learn how to make. I had made a few here and there in the past but they were never good so after trying about a half dozen different recipes I stumbled upon one from a restaurant in Brooklyn called Pies-n-Thighs. Ultimately I wanted a biscuit that would hold up to being used kind of like a bun. I wanted something you could use for a fried chicken biscuit and it would still hold up.
These biscuits aren’t necessarily flaky or soft but they aren’t hard, tough biscuits either. They end up super buttery (should be, there is 3 sticks of butter in them), they rise nicely, and are sturdy enough to hold up to whatever you want to top them with. If you just want to put some butter and jam on them they are great that way as well. So if you are looking for an easy biscuit recipe that turns out a great result check this one out:
Like I said earlier, these biscuits can stand on their own or they are great to use as a bun. The end up about 3+ inches tall so they are definitely big enough to split in half. Here is my favorite application:
Just fry up some bacon (the Kurobuta bacon from Snake River Farms is my favorite), fry an egg, and add a couple slices of cheddar cheese. You can even throw some lettuce and tomato and have a BLT biscuit.
A couple more ideas of what to do with this great biscuit recipe:
- A fried chicken breast goes great on these biscuits and my favorite recipe to use for that is this Chick-Fil-A knockoff from Serious Eats.
- Fry up some sausage and make a nice sausage gravy for some excellent biscuits and gravy
- In a pinch I have used these as hamburger buns and they are great for that. The biscuit does a nice job of soaking up the juice from the burger. Go somewhat light on the toppings and you will be fine.
- Cut up some strawberries, cook them with a bit of sugar, whip up some cream and you have a great Strawberry Shortcake
- Cook up some chicken pot pie filling, cut the biscuits in half, and throw them on top
- A biscuit brown betty
- Biscuit pudding
- And the list goes on…
Give this biscuit recipe a shot the next time you make biscuits and I think you will like it too.